Tropical Cyclone Marcus recovery assistance
Financial assistance is now available for Territorian households connected to mains power that have been left without Power in the wake of Tropical Cyclone Marcus.
Update as at 4 May 2018
Immediate Relief Payments
(For affected Darwin, Palmerston, Rural, Adelaide River and Batchelor households)
The Territory Families’ Welfare Recovery Team is continuing to process remaining applications. In all, over 6,000 applications were received and as of May 1 there were just over 500 applications to be processed.
The deadline to submit an application has been extended by one week and now closes at 4.30pm on Friday 11, May 2018.
Applications for financial assistance payments were due to cease on 30 April 2018.
Territory Families acknowledges however that some people had problems getting through on the Hotline due to higher than expected call volumes and understand that some people may have missed their last chance to lodge a claim.
If people feel this was their situation they can submit a late application.
How to check on the progress of your application
Call the Hotline 1800 700 250 (option 4), If you find yourself in a queue please be patient or call again.
An alternate way to query the status of an existing application is through the email TF.email@example.com
Territory Families is asking for people’s understanding and patience as our team works hard to talk to everyone as they process the remaining applications.
$250 relief payment
- This payment is not means tested.
- To qualify for the $250 payment power would have to have been off beyond 9.00am Tuesday 20 March 2018.
- For people who have applied for this payment and have not yet received it, the Welfare Group team may still be waiting for further information from you - please call our Hotline -1800 700 250 or email TF.firstname.lastname@example.org
$400 additional relief payment
- This payment is not means tested.
- To qualify for the $400 additional payment (on top of the original $250) your power would have to have been off beyond 9.00am Saturday 24 March 2018.
- For people who have already applied for the $250 relief payment, and were still without power at 9am Saturday 24 March – your payment will be made immediately upon receipt of confirmation from Power and Water that your address was one of those without power. As at May 1, 442 of an estimated 566 customers who were without power after 7 days had this payment processed.
- If someone believes they are eligible for the additional $400 payment and have not yet received it please call the Hotline -1800 700 250 (option 4) for more information or email TF.email@example.com
How to apply for relief payments
- The deadline to submit applications for immediate relief payments has been extended until 11 May 2018.
- Territory Families understands that due to longer than anticipated call wait times, some people may not have been able to submit their paperwork. If you believe that this impacts on you, please contact the Hotline -1800 700 250 (option 4) for more information or email TF.firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must provide proof of identity, a recent Power and Water or Jacana bill and your banking details to enable the processing of the payment. Proof of identity can be either a driver’s license, Proof of Age Card or passport.
- If you are unable to produce a recent Power and Water or Jacana bill this will slow down the verification process and may extend the time taken to pay you. If you cannot provide a Power and Water or Jacana bill, the Welfare Recovery staff will work with you to determine your power supply interruption and eligibility.
We acknowledge that welfare payments are an important part of community recovery, we still have to make sure that the relief payment is going to the right people. Therefore all applications for financial assistance must go through a validation process where we check:
- The identity of the applicant.
- That the applicant holds an account with Jacana/Power and Water.
- That the property in question was without power for the period required.
- That the damage or loss claimed is supported by valid evidence.
- It is important that all applications include all of the necessary evidence to avoid delays.
Other forms of financial assistance
Applications have been extended by one week and will now close at 4.30pm on Friday 11, May 2018.
Applications for financial assistance were to close on April 30, 2018. If you were unable to meet this deadline please contact the recovery centre by email on TF.email@example.com or by calling the hotline on 1800 700 250 (option 4) to discuss your situation.
Other forms of financial assistance are available to eligible households including:
- Replacement household goods
- Emergency Accommodation Allowance
- Structural Assistance Payment
These types of assistance are means tested. Means tested assistance types require you to meet eligibility guidelines including additional proofing documentation which will vary depending on the assistance type.
Visit Other financial assistance for more information.