Creating a safer and equal future for Territorians
The Northern Territory Government today committed to creating a Northern Territory that is fair, inclusive, equitable and safe for all Territorians by launching the Northern Territory Gender Equality Statement of Commitment.
The Statement of Commitment outlines the vision and key focus areas to reduce gender-based disadvantages and create greater opportunities for all Territorians to reach their full potential.
The Commitment was developed from consultations across the Northern Territory with individuals, community and government organisations.
Some of the key focuses include:
- the improvement of community education to increase public awareness and understanding of gender equality
- building an understanding about the mental and physical health consequences of gender inequality
- the prevention and early response to domestic, family and sexual violence, including supporting perpetrators to make behavioural changes
- removing and reducing economic barriers to gender equality, such as making childcare more affordable and supporting young parents to stay in the education system
- encouraging diversity in leadership positions and workplace practices.
Territory Families is working with key stakeholders across the Northern Territory Government to embed key values into the workplace and develop actions that will drive gender equality in the Territory going forward.
You can read the Northern Territory Gender Equality Statement of Commitment here.