Report child abuse or neglect

If you believe a child is being, or has been, harmed or exploited you must report your concerns. This is a legal responsibility under the Care and Protection of Children Act and is called mandatory reporting.

If it is an emergency call 000 and ask for police.

You can report suspected child abuse to the Child Protection Hotline 1800 700 250 or if you are a Northern Territory Public Servant you can lodge a report using the reporting tool.

You can also make a mandatory report to NT Police on 131 444 or at your local police station.

Visit the reporting child abuse webpage for more information.

Compliments and complaints

Send your feedback by mail, phone,or email. Alternatively you can use one of our online forms:

Attention: Practice Complaints and Investigations Unit
Territory Families
PO Box  37037

Phone: 1800 750 167

What is your query about?Contact
Contact a Territory Families office Alice Springs
Phone: (08) 8955 6001

Phone: (08) 8922 8474

Phone: (08) 8987 0400 

Phone: (08) 8962 4334

Phone: (08) 8922 7111

Darwin City

Phone: (08) 8999 2737

Phone: (08) 8973 8600 

Phone: (08) 8999 4789
Adoptions Phone: (08) 8922 5519
Child protection hotline Phone: 1800 700 250
Complaints Attention: Practice Integrity and Complaints Management Unit
Territory Families
PO Box  37037

Phone: 1800 750 167
Foster care recruitment hotline Phone: 1800 814 599
Government Switch Phone: (08) 8999 5511
Information sharing

Phone: 1800 700 250

Media  Phone: 0475 953 571
Office of the Children's Commissioner Phone: 1800 259 256
Foster and Kinship Care Queries Phone: 1800 814 599
Placement unit Phone: (08) 8922 7106
TF Connect Phone: 1800 999 900

Compliments and complaints policies & procedures

Contact Territory Families

You can contact the Territory Families online via our feedback form or using the contact details below.

Territory Families
PO Box  37037

To provide feedback about the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory, go to the Royal Commission website.

Summons or Subpoenas

If you cause a summons or subpoena (the Notice) to issue for the production of documentation by Territory Families, please note the following information:

Who do I address the Notice to?

  • The notice should be addressed, where possible, to the Territory Families Audit, Legal and Information Release Team.
  • Where the Notice is required to be directed to a person by name, the appropriate person is the Chief Executive Officer, Territory Families – currently Mr Ken Davies.

Where do I send the Notice?

The preferred method is via email to

Where a Notice is required to be served in the original please send via registered mail to:

  • Territory Families Audit, Legal and Information Release Team.
    PO Box 37037
    Winnellie NT 0820

Where a Notice is required to contain a street address, please direct to:

  • Territory Families Audit, Legal and Information Release Team, Level 7, Darwin Plaza
    41 Smith St Mall

Should you be required to effect personal service please attend at:

  • Territory Families Audit, Legal and Information Release Team
    Level 7, Darwin Plaza
    41 Smith St Mall
    DARWIN NT 0800

How long will it take to respond to the Notice?

  • Please allow no less than 10 working days from the date of service until the date the documents are to be produced to the Court.

What is Conduct Money?

  • Conduct money must be supplied upon service of the Notice.  A person (including a Government Agency) in receipt of a Notice is not obliged to comply if conduct money has not been provided.
  • Conduct money is $30.  Cheques made out to the Receiver of Territory Monies are preferred, although cash is accepted. BPay and Direct Debit options are available, details of which will be supplied with your invoice.

Please ensure that your Notice is served with a covering letter advising of your contact details and the lawyer with carriage (if applicable)

Each jurisdiction has a slightly different process and either the applicable Rules of the Court or the Court Registry should be consulted to ascertain the proper procedure.

Last updated: 23 December 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.